) is my newest, most exciting project. Released in April of 2015, it represents a 2 year commitment to bring the latest technology to building and hosting websites. My company is building websites on this platform now. It is the successor to our CMS-Logic platform that was last updated in 2008.
The goals of the project were:
Offer an alternative to WordPress
- I absolutely hate WordPress. Its constantly getting hacked, and it has created a cottage industry of marketers that think they are web developers because it is so turn-key. It really, really sucks. I used WordPress for my blog in the past, but those days are now gone, thank God (this blog is running on Evo.Cloud).
- Many CMS solutions require you to find and download many plugins to get functionality that we feel should come with the CMS out of the box. Plugins can break your website and cause it to get hacked. Having a solid system eliminates this threat.
- There are many large, successful websites that are built with PHP (like Facebook). But PHP is just plain miserable to code in. There are good PHP frameworks that help to fix this, and we also looked at Drupal (a complicated PHP CMS), but we didn't feel that Drupal was the right path for us because it is not easy for customers to use.
Move away from traditional web and database servers and focus on cloud computing, which is the future of hosting.
Open-Source Application Server
- Create a new website application platform while avoiding PHP, ASP, ColdFusion, and other languages that aren't designed for the cloud. For the application server we choose Python. Python can run on any popular operating system and cloud platforms, so this gives us flexibility.
Solid Development Framework
- We chose Django as the framework for our Python code.
is built with Django.
Use an Open-Source Database
- Move our databases away from Microsoft SQL server (even though we know all about Azure - Microsoft's hosting cloud), and move them to open source. For the database we chose PostgreSQL, however our platform can use any popular SQL database. Adding open-source options enables more flexibility in our hosting platforms.
We are now building egovernment apps for the system, which helps us to build large government websites.
More details about this platform can be found at www.evo.cloud.